Russian Aeropress Championship took place during Russian Barista Days event in Moscow on 1st of March 2015. Russian Barista Days hosted finals of Russian Barista Championship, Cup-Tasting, Brewers Cup, Latte-Art and Coffee In Good Spirits. 24 competitors competed to achieve best possible taste in “aeropressed cup”
24 great Aeropress recipes. Many regions of Russia were introduced, apart from Moscow and St. Pete. There were barista from Rostov, Ekaterinburg, Khabarovsk, Krasnoyarsk, Omsk, Volgograd, Bryansk.
Many thanks goes to our judges! Arkadiy Klimanov(Sweet Beans Coffee, master-roaster and owner), Nikolay Yalanskiy coffee roaster, owner of small and “home like’ coffee shops in St. Pete. Olga Melik-Karakozova well known barista champion, coffee roaster and Tatyana Elizarova also a multiple time Russian Barista Champion, coffee buyer and coffee consultant.
Coffee was provided by Sweet Beans Coffee. Participants had to choose from two samples. Kenya Karinga AA washed and Ethiopia Warka Gedeb Natural. Kenya received slightly more votes and had been roasted for Championship.
All finalists received signed Aeropress by Mr. Alan Adler!
Congratulations to the top 3 competitors:
1st place – Roman Kantola, “City Coffee”, St. Pete
2nd place Anna Svisheva, “Coffee Time”, Volgorad
3d place Ivan Vidishev, “Coffee Time”, Volgorad
Winning recipe from Roamn Kantola
– Inverted method
– 17 grams of coffee (after sieving)
– Baratza Forte 5H grind
– Two paper filters, one metal(metal contacts coffee)
– Pour slowly about 30 ml. wait 25 sec, pour another 190 ml. wait 10 sec, then the remaining 35 ml poured slowly.
– No stirring
– Brewing half way quickly and then slowly
– Pour coffee from pitcher to server and back three times.
– Water was frozen and melted three times – what this means exactly is very intriguing!